Sunday, August 02, 2009

Friends, and more friends! Thanks Facebook!

Here I am finally getting around to blogging some of our vacation.
We drove to UT on July 17- spending the night in St George,
and continuing up on Saturday to stay at Marcy's house.
Thanks to Facebook, I have been able to reconnect with some
old friends. It's been lots of fun finding out what is going on
in their lives in the past twenty-some years.
On Sunday, Mallory and I went and had dessert with
The Hacking Clan!
Cory and Kim and I went to Junior High together. We believe
we all had Mr Bishop for 7th grade math - we think it was
an Accelerated class (us smarties!!)
I vaguely remember 8th grade math with Cory, and Mr Hoyt, I think.
I remember that class more because I had a huge crush on Cory.
But... I've moved on... (hee hee!)
He and Kim dated all through the rest of school, (I moved away
after 9th grade) and the result is this cute family!
Next time I go visit, I'll try and meet up with them to teach
Kim how to make bread! Will be fun!
The next day I got to meet up with these cute girls, not far
from the actual scene of the below crime.
My partners in crime were Tami Jackson Meadows, and Wendy Lou Hughes!
This is us at a church dance when we were in High School -I think
it must have been during my senior year, but not sure.
( absolutely LOVED the sweater vest I have on, and sad to say,
I still have it. But I don't wear it.)
I think we had planned to coordinat e our outfits that night!
Before we drove to Evanston on Monday, Tami told me that Wendy was
living there again. I don't remember the last time that I had
seen her! I see Tami usually every time we go to UT/WY, but
had no idea that she (Wendy) was in town. We planned to
meet in Evanston at Bear River Park, and bring our lunches.
Here we are - with so much more experience and wisdom in our lives!
And 11 kids between us! (although half of them are Tami's so.. )

Also thanks to Facebook, Kristin Nixon Hopkin came!
Kristin and I met my sophomore year in PE class.. I had just
moved to Evanston from Vernal - and didn't know many people.
She was excited because I was TALLER than she was.
We shared a locker that year- and although she was a cheerleader (ha ha)
we were good friends! She and Vern have been living
in Evanston for several years - I didn't know it..
I haven't seen her since our wedding open house in Alpine.
We've talked once or twice - but it has been so long!
Here are Vern and Kristin with their three youngest -
sorry, can't remember their names. They got married
like a month after we graduated, so Kristin is already a mother-in-law,
with her daughter getting married in August, and she's a grandmother-to-be as well!
It was great fun getting together with them!
And later that week I saw these two great ladies!
I met both of them at the University of Wyoming.
Toni's sister Carolyn is my age, and was in
Lambda Delta Sigma with me.
Karen Heath Penman and I were only at UW for one
semester together - my last before my mission.
She and I sang a song in church, His Hands (no, it's not the
one everyone thinks,) and I've carried that copy around for all these years!
Karen now sings in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, so when
you watch the broadcast on Sunday morning, look for her in the
back row - she's tall like me (I think even taller!)
Toni Buckley Wilkins is a teacher - 5th grade, I think,
at the same school for 19 years!
How's that for dedication and longevity?!
Funny story is that when Toni was coming up to Ogden to meet us,
she had slow traffic and was rushing thru Ogden, and got pulled over
for speeding! She turned on her charm (she IS very charming)
and told the officer she was going to meet her friends!
She got away with a warning and no ticket! Way to go Toni!
I'm super glad that my family humored me on our Family Vacation
and let me meet up with my old friends! I had a great time!
Next blog post about all the fun family stuff we did!

6 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

Wow-that's amazing! I love the "then and now" pic with your friends.

You have such a warm, friendly face. No wonder you have so many friends!

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Aw, thanks Kim!

Toni Wilkins said...

Fun Blog, Amy! Thanks for inviting me to see it...I so enjoyed our time together. I am very grateful for friends like you who value the friendships from the good old days enough to keep in touch...and we owe it all to Facebook!

angiedunn said...

This post is tender. I love the old school & new school pic...too fun!!!

You look so fabulous...

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

You are still a smartie! Facebook. The tool of the young. Fun post. I'll bet your friends loved it. As did I.

Swami said...

I love the Then & Now pics!

I have never found anyone from my HS or college days on Facebook, but I recently joined Classmates and found about a dozen people from my old HS class!