Thursday, March 06, 2008

Warning.. rambling ahead...

We moved to Evanston Wy when I was 15 - it was tough to move, I soooo wanted to attend High School in my old town, with all of my buddies. I'd watched the activities my older friends went to and I really wanted to go. But my dad was selling real estate, and he hoped to get in on the housing boom in WY.

I had worked in a coffee shop bussing tables and then waitressing, so I had some experience. I applied at JB's, and although the minimum age for working was supposed to be 16, Doug hired me anyway, since I had experience. I also looked older than my age so it helped. I worked at JB's all through high school, and with it being a fairly small town, I got to know lots of the regulars.

My mom was custodian for one of the church buildings in town, and she would see and talk to people as they came through the church during the week. That is where my mom met Bryan. I don't remember first meeting him, but he was a talker... he talked and talked - always had a story to tell. I waited on him plenty of times I'm sure, but he was 8 years older than me, so I don't think he ever asked me out, since I was still in high school. He was a nice guy, but I wasn't terribly attracted to him or anything. I did consider him a friend, however.

I graduated from HS, and went to the University of Wyoming, on an academic scholarship. The scholarship was a blessing, because I didn't have any money to go to school, nor did my parents.

I worked at the JB's in Laramie as well, and Doug was good enough to let me work when I was home on Christmas break and in the summer. After two years in college, my family moved to AZ. I went back to college in WY -(DH always teases me about that.. I was then in AZ in the hot summer, and in WY in the wintertime freezing - crazy!!) Since it was too far to go home for Thanksgiving, I caught a ride back to Evanston and stayed with my best friend, Tami. It was that year or the next that Bryan asked me out!

I don't remember how we stayed in touch, but we did! Bryan and I drove down to SLC, about a 80 mile drive and went to Crownburger. He had said it was "the " place to go. Then we went to Temple Square to see the lights turned on. This always happens the day after Thanksgiving. He held my hand for the first time there, mostly out of necessity, because there were alot of people there! However, it didn't send any electric shocks thru me or anything.

Bryan and I had been out once before, when he drove me to Ogden for Japanese food. I think it must have been before this- my memory escapes me! There was just not much to do in Evanston, that's why we had to leave town to go on a date!

Anyway, when we got back to Evanston from SLC, Bryan walked me up to Tami's door, and he kissed me. Um.. nothing. Like I said, I wasn't attracted to him really, but he was a nice guy. Again, no electricity happening. "Um, thanks for the date." We didn't go out again. But we were still friends. After I finished at UW, I wasn't back in Evanston regularly, so, I don't think I saw him again - so the last I would have seen him would have been 1988.

Fast forward a few years... When my mom passed away two years ago, I posted her obituary online in the Evanston paper, because we'd lived there 7 years, and I thought maybe people who had known her would like to know. Then in December, work was kicking my butt, and I was tired. I must have been away from home when Bryan called. Mark took a message and his phone number - said he'd seen the obit or something, and recalled my name, and tracked me down! His parents still live in Evanston, although he lives in St George now. It took awhile for me to find time to call him back, it was into January sometime. It was a little weird, but we talked for a little while. He kept telling me that I sounded like my mom, or that I looked like her, and kept bringing up memories of her.. meanwhile, I'm bawling away. My heart is still very tender missing my mom, so it kind of irritated me that he kept bringing her up! At that time, my face pain was hurting more with me getting emotional, so it was hard for me to talk to him! He left me with his email address and website (he's into real estate) but I hadn't emailed him, I hadn't thought too much about it again. He'd told me that he was back in Evanston more frequently with his mom being ill, and spending time with her in SLC as well at the hospital. And I thought that was the end of it.

Tonight.. Mark was working late, I'm trying to get the kids to finish their dinner, and the phone rang with a double ring, meaning it was long distance. Lately we've been getting more telemarketer stuff, so I almost didn't answer. The caller id showed a 435 area code, which I knew was UT, so I answered. It was Bryan. His mom had passed away last month, she was only 68. He saw my phone number on his cell and thought he'd call, knowing I could understand. We had a good talk... the kids finished their dinner and went out to fill up water balloons. (they are going to jump on the tramp at the neighbors with them on Sat.) Bryan and I talked for awhile - remembering the times we went out, and how we met and stuff - which is why I am writing it down. He is married and has 3 kids - I don't think I know his wife - I don't think she was from our town. He still always has a story to tell - I remember the names of people he mentions, but I probably know their younger siblings who were closer to my age.

All in all, I was glad to talk to him this time - I wasn't emotional, my face didn't hurt, and it was easy to talk! Not awkward at all - and no mention of the nonelectric hand holding or kiss! I got his email address again, maybe I'll keep in touch - in case I need to ever buy a cabin in the mountains near St George!

Thanks for indulging me.. I hope to write more stories, for my sake, and for Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life's sake... :-)


Swami said...

I like stories, and that's a very nice one!

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Swami, I'm glad you weren't bored! Someone nudged me to write more of my memories down, so I'm going to try!

Fat & Sassy said...

I think it is a great thing to write your memories... isn't that what we have been told to do, for our sake and the posterity we leave behind. I love that this acquaintance has continued and you have connected over the years and appreciate what the other is going through. You can never have too many friends...
There are friendships that I have had over the years that I wish I had been able to have some contact and find out how they or their fam is doing...
Life isn't it funny?
Keep writing. I think I will try harder to put some memories in writing before the diet coke eats ALL of my memory.

Puffy said...

This is a great story. Continue writing them!

The Chapmans said...

I enjoyed learning more about you through this story. It is funny how paths cross throughout our lives. I think everything and everyone comes full circle at some point. Which is why it is so important that we always treat people kindly:) So is your pain getting better? Or it just comes and goes?